How I healed my herniated disc without surgery
I prayed that God would heal me. He did. It was not instant, but He gave me wisdom. At every turn God put people into my life to help me along this path of healing. And finally at one point there was instant healing…and then I did something stupid. I neglected the wisdom He gave me and and was reminded of the importance of what I learned on this journey.
Here are the main bullet points of my treatment: Keep in mind this has taken time…LOTS.OF.TIME. It has taken learning and changing how I move my body. After 2 years I now have more days without pain than with. At the time I had an infant son. I believe that did make the recovery take a little longer due to repetitive bending, lifting, and turning.
- Physical Therapy with Melissa Hyma of River Valley Spine and Rehab. The Mckenzie method.
- 2 rounds of treatment on the Decompression table at Dr. Hoffman, Bradley
- Started reading Katy Bowman’s blog about Body positioning, movement, and posture
- 6 sessions of pilates with Kelly from Hoffman Chiropractic
- Super Icing (my own invention) 20 min on, 10 min off for 3 rounds. *on bad days I would do this 2/3 times
*every time I rode or drove in a car I iced my back
* I found a cry0genic ice pack at Wal-mart…this worked best for the super icing.
- I started getting massages and myo-facia release treatment from Julie Hill of Foster chiropractic.
- Took Zyflamend by New Chapter. Started with a double dose and then got down to a half dose.
- Tumeric capsules, 2 a day
- Fresh ginger in as much food as I can possible get
- I do my excerscises and stretches 3 times a week.
- I do the extensions (PT McKenzie method) every day
I got an MRI in October of 2011. In August of 2011 I began Physical Therapy with Melissa Hyma of River Valley Spine and Rehab. PT was very helpful and minimized the pain quite a bit. Melissa is certified in the McKenzie method, which helped with the pain. She also gave me stabilizing exercises and taught me to strengthen my transverse abdominal muscles. After 6 weeks I was feeling stronger and much better. The weekend before my MRI I slept on an air mattress. All of the steps I had made in recovery were now negated. I was back to square one.
I continued with my PT at home and started reading Katy Bowman’s blog and began learning about proper posture, movement, and body position. I read about myo-facia release massage and began that with Julie Hill at Foster Chiropractic.
In January I started decompression with Dr. Hoffman and Pilates with Kelly at Hoffman Chiropractic. All of the above helped my pain get from an 8 to 2. It helped me take the next steps and continue my life, manage my pain, and heal over time. I got stronger each and everyday. I would try to do too much and then I would set myself back a little. I would learn that I really needed to change the way I move my body and maintain certain positions.
I did not want to get cortisone injections or take pain pills so I looked into herbs and diet for anti-inflammatories. I found Zyflamend by New Chapter Organics. Tumeric, and ginger.
I am happy and pleased to say that For the last 2 months I have only had pain for a few days each month. It was mainly due to me not being aware of body position when doing something.
It took time. Stick with it. Don’t give up. Don’t push yourself too fast or too hard.
I haven’t learned yet, but I think I want to try Tao breathing and Tai Chi.
I hope this helps you if you have a bulging or herniated disc!!!